Sunday, September 4, 2011

Ridiculous Rosler

That's exactly what the Rosler reading was. Ridiculous. I found myself steadily digressing throughout the gruesome 20 pages of reading. I did get through all of it though but it took me a while. WAY too long. Before actually delving into the reading, I told myself that I was going to read it twice to fully grasp what she was saying. That ended up not happening at all and I barely read it once. Through hours of struggling and sounding out weird names, I finally achieved my goal.

The biggest thing I question Rosler about was her choice of vocabulary and its complexity, which many people in class wondered too. C'mon now woman. You don't need to say all that just to mean this. It's like she over-analyzes and over-critiques things that frankly don't need to. Probably, I would say, about 90% of what she wrote is dense for no reason. A lot of her sentences are run-on and should be broken up because they contain too many dense ideas that create this super duper long sentence that the reader has to break down on their own. I shouldn't have to be stopping and breaking up paragraphs and sentences for my understanding. Your writing should be clear and concise enough from the start so I could easily grasp it.

What she actually talks about, on the other hand, is quite contradicting. She talks bad and down towards the elitist but sounds just like one of them in the reading. I do fully believe that she is against galleries. LOL she hates them and that is one of the few things that is actually clearly apparent in the reading. Her point basically was how video art was not considered a real art at first. It was then "museumized" and lost a lot of its respect and appeal.

Rosler reading: D-

No comments:

Post a Comment